What is UKMED?
Now in its seventh year, University of Kentucky Minority Education Development program (UKMED) is an annual two-day recruitment program held in early August at the University of Kentucky College of Medicine. The goal of UKMED is to attract pre-medical students from underrepresented populations to the medical college. Over a span of two days, participants have the unique opportunity to get a glimpse of life in medical school. They meet with current medical students, staff, faculty, physicians and engage in a wide variety of activities.
- Tours of the University of Kentucky HealthCare facilities and Gross Anatomy Lab
- Surgical and Clinical Workshops
- Attend lectures by University of Kentucky College of Medicine faculty
- Interact with staff of the University of Kentucky College of Medicine Offices of Admission, Student Affairs, and Financial Aid
UKMED helps students experience and learn about medical school first hand in preparation for application season.
Now in its seventh year, University of Kentucky Minority Education Development program targets:
- Rising undergraduate junior & senior students
- Students who have applied or will be applying to medical school within the next two years.
- Students with a minimum GPA of 3.0
Mark your calendar! UKMED 2017 takes place on August 13th and 14th.
Travel and Housing
Participants are responsible for arranging their travel. However, housing with a current medical student may be available upon request.
Interested applicants can apply online at http://goo.gl/forms/3TsJWKyQGh6eIasP2. The deadline to apply is July 14th, 2017.
University of Kentucky Minority Education Development program (UKMED) was started in 2010 by Dr. Ima Ebong, a 2013 graduate of the University of Kentucky College of Medicine. “The program is based on a similar program called FOCUS that I experienced as an undergraduate student at Georgia Institute of Technology,” said Ima. “The idea arose out of my desire to do something positive and make a difference. Partnering with students on programs such as this is so inspirational for me.”