FREE Medical School Admission Boot Camp (Virtual)
May 24-27, 2022 – Morehead, Ky.
Application Deadline is April 18, 2022
The University of Kentucky College of Medicine Rural Physician Leadership Program (RPLP) was created to increase Kentucky’s supply of rural physicians. As we have worked with rural students to assist them in getting into medical school, it has become clear that many Kentucky students attending regional colleges and universities are unfamiliar with the admissions process, and lack a clear understanding of how the admissions committee works. The Admissions Boot Camp was developed by the admissions office and the RPLP to remove barriers faced by rural students applying for medical school. This program gives you an insider’s glimpse of the medical school admissions process, with tips from the associate dean of admissions and the assistant dean of the RPLP. We also review your application and your personal statement, and help you understand your academic strengths and weaknesses. Current medical students and faculty for the RPLP hold mock interviews and provide interviewing advice.
The RPLP Admissions Boot Camp is a FREE four-day intense preparatory course for the medical school admissions process. If you are from Kentucky or are attending a Kentucky college or yuniversity and you wish to enroll in medical school this program can help you to obtain that goal.
Activities and Goals
- Admissions: Participants receive information from the associate dean for admissions and from the assistant dean of the College of Medicine Rural Physician Leadership Program, regarding the admissions process and general tips and advice.
- Application Review: The Boot Camp application is very similar to a medical school AMCAS application. Staff and faculty provide individual feedback to attendees based on their boot camp application.
- Personal Statements: Student and faculty offer feedback and guidance on writing your personal statement.
- Mock Interviews: To make this as true to real life as possible, the Boot Camp provides mock interviews for participants. Interviews are completed by current medical students and community members that are familiar with the interview process.
- Current Events: During interviews, applicants are often asked about current health care events. Participants in the Boot Camp will discuss many current health care events with program staff.
- Hands-On Activities: Sitting in lectures and discussions every day can become boring. For some fun, attendees practice simulation activities on mannequins that current medical students use during their training. These activities include suturing, intubation, surgical scope practice, catheter placement, and IV placement. Medical students are the instructors for these activities.
- Networking: There are opportunities to engage with students who are applying to medical school, as well as current RPLP medical students.
- MCAT: Receive up-to-date information on the MCAT.
The UK Admissions Boot Camp will provide Kentucky college and university students:
- A better understanding of the actual medical school application process.
- Increased knowledge and experience with the medical school interview process.
- Information about financial aid and other resources available to rural applicants.
- Networking opportunities with current and future medical school students.