Financial Resources for International Students

To be eligible for federal financial assistance, a student must be one of the following:

–        U.S. Citizen,
–        National,
–        Permanent Resident who holds an I-151, I1551, or I1551C Alien Registration Receipt Card, or
–        Eligible non-citizen who has an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service showing one of the following designations – refugee, asylum granted, indefinite parole or humanitarian parole, Cuban-Haitian entrant, Status Pending, or conditional entrant (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980).

Students are not eligible for federal financial assistance if they have a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464); are in the United States on an F1 only; or have G series visas (pertaining to international organizations).

International students who do not qualify for federal financial assistance must document that they have sufficient financial resources to finance a medical education. Most international students who do not have sufficient personal financial resources (i.e., savings, sponsorship, scholarship funds) rely on qualifying for a private student loan (usually with an approved co-signer). Eligibility for the amount borrowed must be certified by the Financial Aid Office.

Helpful Web sites:

–        Canadian Student Financial Aid Information
–        Chase Bank
–        Sallie Mae
–        Wells Fargo MedCAP-XTRA Loan