What are these courses?
Electives are offered to provide students an opportunity to pursue individual interests. Electives are not a part of your required curriculum and, thus, enrollment is optional. All electives are pass/fail. A student may enroll for up to three electives, however electives must not interfere with required academic work, so please choose cautiously.
Fall 2017 Elective Courses
The list of fall elective course descriptions can be found in the OASIS course catalog at https://uky.oasisscheduling.com/public/courses/select_student_level.html. Click on "M1/M2 2017-2018", then "M1 M2 Electives", then "Search."
New Policy and Procedures for Electives
A new policy has been set that allows each student to enroll in only one elective each semester. A student may request permission to take one or two additional electives by sending an email to email@example.com, asking SPPC for permission for an additional course or two. Please send only one request email. SPPC will take into account a number of factors when deciding about the requests, including academic performance, extracurricular commitments, etc. The purpose of this is to ensure that each student has appropriate time and energy for required coursework and preparation for USMLE Step 1.
How to Register an Elective
The deadline for registering for an elective is Friday, August 4.
- If you want to take a course that requires permission, please request permission as instructed in the course description (link below.) You will not be able to enroll in a permission-required course in any other way. Courses that require permission — see the Electives listings below — each handle their own enrollment.
- You will receive an email from OASIS informing you of your login time for elective registration. The system cannot allow everyone at once, so login times will be randomly assigned for fairness. You may login to register at or after your scheduled time.
- You will have until 5:00 Friday, August 4, to enroll in a course in OASIS.
- We will support additional registration the following week as needed, in light of the approval process for additional electives.
When will Fall electives be offered?
Fall electives will be offered from the week of August 7 or August 14 through the week of November 27 or December 4. Electives with irregular schedules need to finish by the week of December 4. Some courses arrange schedules with students individually. Some elective schedules may conflict with your ICM schedule or other activities of your core curriculum. Do not try to get changes made to the schedules of your core courses.
Independent study options:
A student may arrange her or his own elective with any full-time faculty member in the College of Medicine through an independent study format. Please email the registrars a brief description of the course, including the number of credits (1-3), and have your faculty member email us approval for you to take the elective.
Main campus course options:
Students may take other University courses as electives, provided that schedules do not conflict with medical school courses, there is space available, and the course director is willing to post a pass/fail grade. (Distance Learning courses are not included.) Turn in an Elective Registration Form for Campus Course (PDF) that includes the course title, course and section numbers, and instructor name. This form requires the signature of the course instructor agreeing to award a Pass or Fail grade. An email from that person will be accepted in lieu of the actual signature.
The electives available for Fall semester are:
- ANS 825 001 Behavioral Medicine & Chronic Pain Management
- BSC 825 001 Elective in Behavioral Science (requires permission)
- BSC 825 004 The Stories We Tell Each Other: Engaging Emotional Perspectives Through Art
- BSC 825 005 Frontiers in Integrative and Alternative Medicine
- DR 825 012 Cardiovascular Imaging Research (requires permission)
- DR 825 002 Fundamentals of Abdominal Radiology (requires permission)
- DR 825 003 Introduction to Emergency Radiology
- DR 825 004 Vascular and Interventional Radiology Elective
- DR 825 006 Neuroradiology Elective (requires permission)
- DR 825 007 Introduction to Breast Imaging
- DR 850 008 Radiology Ultrasound (RADiUS) (requires permission)
- DR 825 009 Nuclear Medicine & Molecular Imaging Elective (requires permission)
- FM 825 001 Introduction to Global Health
- FM 825 010 Research in Family & Community Medicine (requires permission)
- MED 825 002 Geriatric Elective
- MED 825 004 Bioethics on Film
- MED 825 005 Leadership in Rural and Underserved Health
- MI 825 001 History of Early Medicine
- OBG 825 001 Ovarian Cancer Research
- OTH 825 001 Elective in Orthopaedic Surgery (requires permission)
- PAT 825 001 Forensic Pathology
- PSC 825 002 The Clinical Use of Narrative
- SUR 825 001 Head & Neck Oncology
- SUR 825 004 Research in Surgery (requires permission)