Interprofessional Teamwork in Global Health: This course in interprofessional education and practice is designed as a companion to the Shoulder-to-Shoulder Global Ecuador health brigade or other similar immersion experiences to provide students with an opportunity to work effectively as an interprofessional team in an international or other community setting to promote positive, holistic health outcomes for individuals and communities.
At the conclusion of the course, students will be able to:
- Articulate values and ethics for interprofessional practice when serving patients and communities in a global health and or education resource-limited access setting.
- Describe roles and responsibilities of members of the interprofessional health care and/or education team in serving patients and populations in a global health or other resource-limited setting.
- Demonstrate skills in interprofessional communication with members of the health care and/or education team, and with patients and families from diverse populations.
- Demonstrate team and relationship-building values and principles necessary to perform effectively when working within health care teams and/or educational teams; demonstrate the ability to function within the various roles essential to planning and delivering patient and population-centered care in a resource-constrained setting.
Objectives for the Ecuador Service Component
At the conclusion of the service component in Ecuador, students will have:
- Interacted with others in a culturally sensitive manner.
- Demonstrated professionalism by fulfilling responsibilities as assigned.
- Functioned effectively when working within interprofessional teams.