Visiting Student Information for 2017-2018
The Fourth-Year Visiting Student Program offers eligible medical students at other universities an opportunity to complete clinical clerkships with specialists at the University of Kentucky College of Medicine.
The course catalog for 2017-2018 is available in VSAS. We will accept applications in VSAS starting on March 1. However, applications will not be processed until April 15 with the exception of the following specialties: Urology, Plastics, ENT, Ophthalmology, Neurosurgery, Orthopaedic Surgery, and Radiation Oncology. These specialites only will begin processing applications on March 1.
DO NOT SUBMIT AN APPLICATION UNTIL IT IS COMPLETE. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL BE DENIED.
If the requirements below indicate that you must UPLOAD a document, you must do so, even if the item is verified by your registrar in VSAS.
- You must be a fourth-year medical student in good standing at the time of your rotation.
- You must be enrolled in a school that is accredited by the United States Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) or the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
- All rotations are four weeks long. No exceptions.
- All rotations take place during the scheduled rotation dates at the University of Kentucky. No exceptions.
- You must be current on all of your immunizations. including measles, mumps, rubella, varicella, hepatitis, tuberculosis, and a seasonal flu vaccine. Since flu season is October to March, you must provide proof of a current flu vaccine if you are accepted for a rotation during those months. Please complete and UPLOAD the AAMC Standard Immunizations Form with your application.
- You must UPLOAD criminal background check results obtained within the past year.
- You must UPLOAD results of a drug screen done within the past six months. If you are accepted for a rotation that takes place more than six months after you apply, you must provide documentation of a new drug screen at the time of the rotation.
- You must include emergency contact information in your VSAS Profile.
- You must UPLOAD a Certificate of Professional Liability Insurance or letter from your Risk Management office that includes the dates and amounts of your coverage (at least $1,000,000 per occurrence, $3,000,000 aggregate.)
- You must UPLOAD a copy of your current health insurance card or policy. If that policy expires before you come to UK, you must bring proof of current health insurance coverage when you arrive for your rotation.
- You must UPLOAD a copy of your CPR, BLS, or ACLS card.
- You must have your registrar’s office UPLOAD a current transcript,
- Your or your school must UPLOAD your photo.
- You must UPLOAD any information requested in the course description. Some courses require faculty permission for all students, and there will be required application information described in the course description. This information should be UPLOADED to VSAS rather than emailed to faculty. Do not contact them directly.
- You must not have been excluded from participating in a federal healthcare program. You would know if you have been. We will check two federal databases to confirm.
- Do not contact any faculty or clinical department prior to your acceptance for a rotation. Doing so is considered a professionalism breach and may disqualify you from doing rotations at UK.
- If accepted for a rotation, your days off will be limited to two days for outpatient rotations, four days for inpatient rotations.
- Under no circumstances may you miss the orientation on the first day of your rotation. If you are instructed by the course director or department to report elsewhere on that morning, please contact Renee Seidel immediately. If you are not present for the visiting student orientation, your rotation will be cancelled.
Per the information above, the following documents must be UPLOADED to VSAS in order for your application to be considered complete:
- AAMC Standard Immunizations Form itemizing your immunizations, including those listed in #5 above.
- Results of criminal background check done within the past year.
- Results of a 9-panel drug screen done within the past six months.
- Certificate of Professional Liability Insurance that states that you will be covered while you are at the University of Kentucky in the amounts of $1,000,000 per occurrence, $3,000,000 aggregate.
- Current health insurance card or policy.
- Copy of your CPR, BLS, or ACLS card.
- Current transcript uploaded by your school.
- Your photo.
- Any information requested in the course description must be uploaded.
Do not submit your application until it is complete with all documents uploaded. Incomplete applications will be denied.
In addition to the requirements listed above, the University of Kentucky College of Medicine must have an affiliation agreement with your school that allows students from your school to do clinical rotations at UK COM. Once you apply, we will begin the process of establishing an affiliation agreement with your school. If the agreement is not finalized by the time of your rotation, your rotation will be cancelled.
The Fourth-Year Course Catalog includes details of fourth year rotations. You may apply for any course accessible through VSAS. (A number of courses are unable to take visiting students.)
|July 3 – July 28||Period 01|
|July 31 – Aug. 25||Period 02|
|Aug. 28 – Sept. 22||Period 03|
|Sept. 25 – Oct. 20||Period 04|
|Oct. 23 – Nov. 17||Period 05|
|Nov. 2 – Dec. 15||Period 06|
|Jan. 2 – Jan. 26||Period 07|
|Jan. 29 – Feb. 23||Period 08|
|Feb. 26 – Mar. 23||Period 09|
|Mar. 26 – Apr. 20||Period 10|
Application Process for Visiting Students
The University of Kentucky College of Medicine uses VSAS, the Visiting Student Application Service, to receive visiting student applications. Applications may be submitted through VSAS starting on March 1. However, applications will not be processed until April 15 with the exception of the following specialties: Urology, Plastics, ENT, Ophthomology, Neurosurgery, Orthopaedic Surgery, and Radiation Oncology. These specialites only will begin processing applications on March 1.To apply to our school, please complete a VSAS application for your preferred electives and dates. For more information on VSAS, please visit their website.
In addition to the information about UK in VSAS, please be aware of the following requirements:
- Do not contact any faculty or clinical department prior to your acceptance for a rotation. Doing so is considered a professionalism breach and may disqualify you from doing rotations at UK. For courses that require faculty permission for all students, the required application materials provide faculty with what they need to make placements. There is no need to contact them directly. Simply upload any documentation requested in the course description.
- If you are accepted for a visiting student rotation, you will need to pay a one-time $75 placement fee regardless of how many rotations you are doing. When you accept our offer of a rotation, go to UK’s Visiting Medical Student Authorize.Net page to pay your non-refundable $75.00.
- If you are accepted for a visiting student rotation and decide not to accept it or to withdraw from it, you must withdraw via VSAS at least one month prior to the start of the rotation. Failure to provide notification of withdrawal from an approved rotation will be reported to the dean of your medical school.
- If accepted for a rotation, you will be informed of the time and place for your orientation. You must complete this orientation before you can begin any part of the rotation. Failure to do so may result in cancellation of your rotation. If you are given conflicting instructions by faculty or staff, contact Renee Seidel immediately.
Renee Seidel, Visiting Student Coordinator (Domestic Students)
University of Kentucky College of Medicine
Office of the Dean
800 Rose Street, MN-104
Lexington, KY 40536-0298
Alison Salyer, UK GHLO Administrator (International Students)