The UK College of Medicine offers several different opportunities to explore the medical profession and to better understand our medical educational programs.
UK College of Medicine Open Houses Events
Consider which of the four University of Kentucky College of Medicine campuses (include link) will be best fit for you. Attend open houses and tours and speak with faculty and staff to help you consider your options. Please refer to the following pages for more information:
- Lexington Campus – Open house events
- Bowling Green Campus – Open house events
- Morehead Campus – Open house events
- Northern Kentucky Campus – Open house events
University of Kentucky Medical Education Development Program
What is UKMED?
Now in its tenth year, the University of Kentucky Medical Education Development Program (UKMED) is an annual two-day recruitment program held in August at the University of Kentucky College of Medicine. The goal of UKMED is to attract premedical students from underrepresented populations to the college. Over a span of two days, participants have the unique opportunity to get a glimpse of life in medical school. UKMED helps students experience and learn about medical school first hand in preparation for application season. They meet with current medical students, staff, faculty, and physicians and engage in a wide variety of activities.
- Tours of the UK HealthCare facilities
- Surgical and clinical workshops
- Attend lectures by University of Kentucky College of Medicine faculty
- Interact with the staff of the University of Kentucky College of Medicine Offices of Admissions, Student Affairs, and Financial Aid
The UKMED program targets:
- Rising undergraduate sophomore and junior students
- Students who have applied or will be applying to medical school within the next two years.
- Students with a minimum GPA of 3.0
Click here for the 2019 brochure.
The program dates for the 2019 UKMED program are August 11-12, 2019.
Travel and Housing
Participants are responsible for arranging their travel. However, housing with a current medical student may be available upon request.
Interested applicants can apply here. Click the application link below. The deadline to apply is June 23, 2019.
2019 UKMED Application
UKMED was created in 2010 by Dr. Ima Ebong, a 2013 graduate of the University of Kentucky College of Medicine.
“The program is based on a similar program called FOCUS that I experienced as an undergraduate student at Georgia Institute of Technology,” said Ima. “The idea arose out of my desire to do something positive and make a difference. Partnering with students on programs such as this is so inspirational for me.”