Students admitted to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine are eligible to apply to the combined MD/MPH program. The combined degree will provide well-trained physicians with additional skills and knowledge in public health policies and procedures, enabling them to provide service to individuals within the context of a healthy community and its unique population characteristics. The MD/MPH program is designed for completion in five years.
In addition to being admitted to the College of Medicine, students applying to the MD/MPH program must meet the admissions requirements for the Graduate School of the University of Kentucky and the College of Public Health. Students must complete an online, centralized application through the School of Public Health Application Service (SOPHAS). For more information visit: www.sophas.org. Applicants should indicate interest in the dual degree program via the AMCAS application by designating an application type of Combined Medical Degree/Graduate.
Students in the MD/MPH program will complete the majority of the public health courses during the third year of the five-year program while enrolled solely in the College of Public Health. However, students in good academic standing may take a limited number of public health courses in the first-, second-, and fourth-year of medical school. Some of these courses may be eligible for credit toward both the MD and the MPH degrees.
MPH Areas of Concentration:
- Biostatistics – the development and application of methodology for quantitative studies in public health and biomedical research.
- Epidemiology – study of the distribution and determinants of disease and injury in human populations.
- Environmental Health – the protection, promotion, and maintenance of the health of defined populations.
- Health Behavior – the prevention of disease, both domestically and globally, through the study of behaviors affecting health.
- Population Health Policy and Management – improving the quality, availability, and effectiveness of public health and health care systems.
For additional information regarding the MD/MPH program, please contact:
University of Kentucky
2195 Harrodsburg Rd., Suite 125
Lexington, KY 40504-3504
More information can also be found on the College of Public Health MPH website.