Congratulations on your decision to enter the medical profession. Although the course of study is challenging, you have chosen one of the most rewarding professions.
The College of Medicine promotes a diverse and inclusive environment that provides excellence in education, equitable health care, and transformative research to improve the health and wellness of Kentuckians and beyond. Through the continual enhancement of medical school education, the Kentucky Integrated Curriculum transforms our learners into accomplished professionals and scholars who contribute through their clinical and community service, research and discovery, creative endeavors, and teaching.
Applicants are required to have the following:
- Ninety hours of undergraduate level education in an undergraduate institution in the United States. No specific course of study is required; however, completion of the following courses or their equivalent constitute the minimal requirements for admission:
- Two semesters in physics.
- Two semesters in the biological sciences.
- Four semesters in chemistry, including organic chemistry and biochemistry.
- Two semesters of English with emphasis on communication skills such as reading, writing, and speaking.
- Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT): For the 2019 entering class application cycle, the oldest MCAT score accepted is January 2016.
- American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) Application.
- Meet the Technical Standards of the College of Medicine.
How to Apply
Several different programs are available at the University of Kentucky College of Medicine. Please review the following programs to determine which program(s) you would like to apply:
- Early Decision Program (Available at the Lexington, Bowling Green, and Northern Kentucky campuses)
- MD (Available at the Lexington, Bowling Green, Morehead and Northern Kentucky campuses)
- Combined Medical/Graduate: MD/MBA (Lexington and Bowling Green campus)
- Combined Medical/Graduate: MD/MPH (Lexington and Bowling Green campus)
- Combined Medical/Graduate: MD/PhD (Lexington campus)
Since our interview and admission decisions are made on a rolling basis (based on the date of completion of your file), it is very important that you submit all application materials as early as possible. This includes the secondary application, evaluation letters, and payment of the secondary application fee. Our class is typically filled and oversubscribed in late December or early January.
The AMCAS Application
The AMCAS (American Medical College Application Service) — provided by the AAMC (Association of American Medical Colleges) — enables applicants from very diverse locations to simplify the application process by creating a unified way to apply to many medical schools with one single electronic application. AMCAS will be your first formal step into the applicant pool.
When working on your application, please pay close attention to detail and make sure that all the information is correct. Instead of submitting transcripts to more than 10 medical colleges for review, you will send your transcripts to AMCAS for a verification process. AMCAS requires that your college transcripts be sent to their offices for review and validation of your academic record prior to the release of your AMCAS application to the schools to which you are applying. Applications are then forwarded to medical schools to which an individual has applied. A final transcript with your degree posted will be requested later by the University of Kentucky upon matriculation and will be part of your permanent medical school record.
The Secondary Application
Our secondary application is a supplement to the AMCAS application. We offer this application to Kentucky residents and selected non-Kentucky residents who meet our characteristics of successful applicants. Secondary applications are sent after receipt of the AMCAS application. If you are invited to complete a secondary application, you will be notified via email on the account listed in your AMCAS application.
On the electronic secondary application, students will have the opportunity to rank their first and second campus location. The regular MD degree is offered at the following campuses:
- University of Kentucky College of Medicine-Lexington Campus
- University of Kentucky College of Medicine-Bowling Green Campus
- University of Kentucky College of Medicine-Rural Physician Leadership Program Morehead Campus
- University of Kentucky College of Medicine-Northern Kentucky Campus
Applicants will also be asked to explain in a brief essay why they designated their first choice as their preferred UK College of Medicine location to attend.
There is a $50 fee that accompanies the secondary application. Your application will not be screened until your fee is paid and it can be paid with Visa or MasterCard credit cards. Please be aware that spam filters on your email account may interfere with the secondary application notification. Be certain to check your junk mail for this correspondence. Send your secondary application fee to the Office of Admissions as early as possible.
Please note: If you have been offered the secondary application and are having trouble logging in to complete the online form, remember that the login information must exactly match the information as you entered it into the AMCAS application. If you need additional help, please contact the Office of Admissions at (859) 323-6161.
The University of Kentucky College of Medicine requires letters of evaluation, and only accepts letters submitted through the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) letters service. The committee will not consider letters sent directly to the University or college. The following letters will be considered as part of the application:
- Committee letter: If the applicant is an undergraduate student at a school that has a premedical committee, the applicant must use their recommendation process and forms.
- Letter packet: A premedical advisor may furnish a composite evaluation compiled from contributing faculty at the applicant’s school.
- Individual letter: If there is no committee or advisor, the applicant is required to provide three letters of recommendation, at least one of the three recommendations from a faculty member in the major area of concentration and at least one from a science area.
Applicants who have previously applied and supplied letters of evaluation must submit two new individual letters of evaluation with their revised and updated AMCAS application.
Make sure that your letters of evaluation arrive at AMCAS in a timely fashion.
Screening and invitation to interview
UK College of Medicine Admissions Committee will screen the completed files of all candidates for admission. Students meeting the screening criteria for interview will be invited to interview at the site of the medical school they prefer to attend.
Interview and selection
An interview advisory committee at each regional campus will meet to discuss individual applicants and recommend students to accept, hold for comparison, or reject. Final votes regarding selection decisions for all interviewed candidates will be made by the admission committee in Lexington. Offers of admission are binding to the site where the applicant interviewed.
Students selected for an interview will receive an admission decision soon after their interview. If offered admission, an acceptance agreement form, binding the student to the site where he or she interviewed, must be signed and returned to the UK College of Medicine Office of Admission within two weeks of receipt of the acceptance decision letter.
NOTE: Since interviews and admissions are offered on a rolling basis based on the date of completion of your file, it is very important to complete your file as early as possible, ideally no later than early September.