- Try to have all of the prerequisites for entrance into the University of Kentucky College of Medicine completed by your junior year of college.
- Take the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) early in your junior undergraduate year. This will give you enough time to repeat the test should you wish to improve your scores. We do not accept MCAT scores that are more than two years old.
- Try to complete your American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) Application in June of the year prior to intended matriculation. The earlier you complete this application, the earlier you will be sent a Secondary Application.
- All Kentucky residents and selected out-of-state applicants receive Secondary Applications. Out-of-state students who have ties to Kentucky should make those known early in the Admissions cycle by contacting the Admissions Office or sending a description of those ties.
- For more information about screening criteria for out-of-state applicants, please refer to our Admissions Policies for the MD Degree.
- Make sure that your letters of evaluation arrive at AMCAS in a timely fashion. Refer to Evaluation Letters for detailed instructions on this procedure.
- AMCAS requires that your college transcripts be sent to their offices for review and validation of your academic record prior to the release of your AMCAS application to the schools to which you are applying.
- Send your Secondary Application fee to the Admissions Office as early as possible. Your application will not be screened until your fee is paid. Most delays occur while waiting for either the $50 application fee or letters of evaluation.
Procedure and Timeline
|What to do||When to do it|
|Complete the prerequisites||By your junior year as an undergraduate student|
|Take the MCAT||By the end of your junior year as an undergraduate student |
If you are not currently in college, take the MCAT in the year prior to when you plan to apply
|AMCAS Application||Begin in June of the year prior to intended matriculation and submit as early as possible in the Admissions cycle|
|Secondary Application||Immediately following the completion of your AMCAS application|
|Letters of Evaluation||To be received concurrently with the secondary application|
|Interview||Between August and March prior to matriculation|
|Notification||Following October 15, within one week of the selection decision made by the Admissions Committee|
|Final Attendance Decision||The UK College of Medicine requires that students holding positions at this institution and at other medical schools make a final decision on whether they will attend here (and drop positions at other medical schools) by May 1|
The AMCAS Application
AMCAS (the American Medical College Application Service) — provided by the AAMC (the Association of American Medical Colleges) — enables applicants from very diverse locations to simplify the application process by creating a unified way to apply to many medical schools with one single electronic application. AMCAS will be your first formal step into the applicant pool. When working on your application, please pay close attention to detail and make sure that all the information is correct. Instead of submitting transcripts to more than 10 medical colleges for review, you will send your transcripts to AMCAS for a verification process. Applications are then forwarded to medical schools to which an applicant has made application. A final transcript with your degree posted will be requested later by the University of Kentucky upon matriculation and will be part of your permanent medical school record.
Program types available for University of Kentucky College of Medicine applicants to select from include:
The Secondary Application
Our Secondary Application is a supplement to the AMCAS application. We offer this application to all Kentucky residents and selected non-Kentucky residents. Secondary Applications are sent after receipt of the AMCAS application. If you are invited to complete a Secondary Application, you will be notified via e-mail on the account listed in your AMCAS application. In addition, there is a $50 fee that accompanies the Secondary Application. This can be paid with Visa or MasterCard credit cards. Please be aware that spam filters on your e-mail account may interfere with the Secondary Application notification, thus check your junk mail for this correspondence.
Please note: If you have been offered the Secondary Application and are having trouble logging in to complete the online form, remember that the login information must exactly match the information as you entered it into the AMCAS application. If you need additional help, please contact the Admissions Office at (859) 323-6161.